Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Office Music - Brothers In Arms



Nowadays I sometimes bring the headphones to work. Connected to these headphone is a cigarette lighter with 8GB of MP3's... Every now and then I replace the music in the MP3-player and I did that again last night. I just selected a number of complete albums and copied them. Stuff like Simple Minds' "Sparkle In The Rain(from before they became famous), Talk Talk's "The Colour Of Spring", This Mortal Coils's "It'll End In Tears", that kind of stuff.
     
Now, on a side note; I do kind of like Dire Straits. I find some of their stuff brilliant although a lot of it is a bit too boring for me. So imagine my pleasure when I discovered this morning that I had also copied 'Brothers In Arms', played it and found it to be the perfect background music while doing software engineering and analysis.

This album will be on my player for a while me thinks. Especially the song "Brothers In Arms". Still one hell of a song after all these years, and also a song that impressed me incredibly when it was used as the closing theme of a very sad episode of The West Wing.
                       

"These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Some day you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn
To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
Baptism of fire
I've watched all your suffering
As the battles raged higher
And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones
Now the sun's gone to hell
And the moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight
And every line on your palm
We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms"

No comments: